An Egyptian woman, who weighs around 500 kgs has reached Mumbai in a specially arranged chartered flight on Saturday for a weight reducing bariatric surgery. The 36-year old Eman Ahmed Abd El Aty stepped out of her house for the first time in 25 years to fly down to Mumbai. She has been suffering from multiple medical conditions and her treatment will be a long process that is expected to stretch for a couple of years.
Eman Ahmed, the 36 year old woman is possibly the heaviest woman in the world at 500 kgs and she arrived in Mumbai on the wee hours of Saturday. A special crane was used by the hospital for carrying her bed inside the structure that was prepared as per her treatment needs.
The modified Airbus 300-600 of Egyptair landed at 4:10 am as per schedule. Eman and her sister exited from gate number 5, which is a cargo section of the international airport. Then the officials loaded the specially designed bed of Eman on an open truck that was escorted by an ambulance and police van to Saifee Hospital.
As per doctors at Saifee Hospital, Eman’s journey took five hours to reach Mumbai from her hometown in Egypt. Two doctors has accompanied them and there were no medical complications during the flight. Top officials such as Egyptian consulate general Ahmed Khalil were present at the spot until she was safely admitted in the hospital. Considering the special requirements a crane was called for lifting her bed to the first floor of the hospital to a social facility that was designed especially for her treatment and surgical interventions. The bed had hooks on all sides so that it could be lifted with the help of sturdy ropes.
Here are 10 things about the resident of the port city of Alexandria:
- Abd El Aty weighed around 5 kgs when she was born and started to put on weight by the age of 11.
- She had to discontinue her schooling after Class 5 due to lethargy caused by thyroid problems.
- The continuous weight gain had restricted her lower extremities and she began to crawl instead of walking.
- In 2014, she weighed 300 kgs and had high cholesterol level and a sudden stroke that left her paralysed, impacted her speech and left her completely bedridden.
- By 2016, she weighed about 500 kgs and was diagnosed with severe lymphedema and water retention, hypertention, type 2 diabetes and hypothyroidism. She has severe obstructive and restrictive lung disease, gour and at a very high risk of pulmonary embolism.
- After repeated attempts to avail the medical aid from doctors in Greece and Egypt, Abd Al Aty’s sister Shaimaa started an online campaign that caught attention of noted laparoscopy surgeon Dr. Muffazal Lakdawala.
- External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj, during her stay at AIIMS Delhi has communicated with the officials at the Indian Embassy in Egypt who had rejected her visa application to come to India for treatment.
- Eman who lay in a specially created bed by the Egyptian artisans, travelled in Egyptair freighter aircraft Airbus 300-600 to Mumbai. She was brought to Saifee Hospital in an open to sky truck, covered by all sides for the security purposes.
- Currently, she is at a specially created 1,000 sqft first floor facility that was previously accounts office. A ground floor structure created by Saifee for Ahmed was demolished by BMC due to lack of permission.
- Currently, she is under observation. Before any surgical intervention, she will be undergoing a series of medical tests including the routine body checkups and a completely body profile test. Doctors will do a special gene study as well for the 91 different types of biomarkers isolated with the obesity related syndrome.
Read Story Fortis Hospital Delhi India has Done A Bariatric Surgery of A Morbidly Obese Patient from Australia
As per officials from the hospital, she was safely admitted in the hospital and soon an extensive line of treatment is slated for continuation till next six months including several surgeries. The hospital will be treating her for both the treatment and surgeries for free. Get in touch with Cosmetic and Obesity Surgery Hospital India, if are seeking weight loss surgery in India.
Tags #saifeehospital, #weightlosssurgeryinIndia, #sushmaswaraj, #drmuffazallakdawala, #bariatricsurgery, #egyptair, #egypt, #hospital, #mumbai, #eman, #laparoscopysurgeon, #obesity